Answers to Common Questions

Education FAQs

Here are some questions and answers that you may find helpful. If you have additional questions or need some information about our services that you do not find on our website, please contact us, we would be happy to help!

Interpreter FAQs
Who pays for services for my child?

Our services are typically paid for by early intervention programs or school districts. Please contact us with any questions.

My family is interested in learning American Sign Language with our deaf/hard of hearing/deafblind child. Does NDHHS provide ASL classes?

a) If you’re looking for ASL classes for a child either aged 0-3 or school-aged, you may be a candidate for our Family Sign Language Program. Please see: Family Sign Language Program details for more information on the program. Your child’s service coordinator or case manager will need to make a referral.

b) NDHHS offers basic ASL introduction classes if demand allows for it.

How does my child who is deaf/hard of hearing/deafblind receive services through the Family Sign Language Program (FSLP)?

a) If your child is 0-3 years old, they are eligible to obtain a referral through their early intervention program. To find your local early intervention program, please consult this link:

Your service coordinator will be able to assist you in submitting a request for services.

b) If your child is older than 3 years old, they may qualify for FSLP via their school’s IEP or 504 Plan. Please contact your child’s case manager to discuss requesting services.

c) Our Request for Services Form can be found here: Register for the FSLP

d) If you or your child’s coordinator have any questions regarding FSLP eligibility or services please contact Kara Crumrine, FSLP Coordinator at

Our family would like to know more about the NH Deaf Child’s Bill of Rights and its Advisory Council on the education of deaf children. Where can we find further information?
My child was recently identified with a hearing loss. How do we receive services through your organization?

a) If your child is under age 3, your first step would be to locate your early intervention program which can be found through this directory:

Be sure to request a Teacher of the Deaf be part of your child’s team.

b) If your child is over the age of 3, you should request a Teacher of the Deaf be part
of your child’s IEP or 504 team.

*We are happy to help you navigate this process so please contact us with any questions!

We do not know which “communication modality” to use with our child. Can NDHHS guide/teach us?

Our providers have expertise in different communication modes of which they can inform and guide your family. It is important to provide your child with a fully accessible language. You know your child the best and we will support you in monitoring your child’s language development over time. For a full list of options provided, please see our Services page.

Does NDHHS provide opportunities to meet others in New Hampshire who have hearing loss?

Our NH Deaf/Hard of Hearing Role Model Program provides families with the opportunity to meet a diverse group of deaf/hard of hearing individuals with a range of hearing levels, communication modalities, technology use and educational backgrounds. If you are interested in participating in this no cost program, please complete this referral form.

Our NH Hands & Voices chapter offers opportunities for families and their children who are deaf or hard of hearing to connect with one another. See our Groups page for more information on this non-profit, parent-driven organization.

How do I advocate for services for my child through either an IEP or 504 Plan?

a) A family’s involvement in the IEP process is paramount to their child’s success. In the event that you need support in advocating for services, please call us for a consult at 603-224-1850 ext. 203.

b) Hands & Voices is an organization dedicated to supporting families of children
who are deaf or hard of hearing. Please visit for advocacy tools specific to children who are deaf or hard of hearing.

c) In NH, the Parent Information Center on Special Education has a number of resources. Please visit their website for more information:

Does the ERC provide specialized evaluations for students who are Deaf, hard of hearing or Deafblind (e.g. evaluations from a school psychologist or educational audiologist)?

Yes, please see our full list of providers on our Services page. If you do not see what you are looking for or have further questions, please reach out to us!

My child is between the ages of 14-22. What should we be thinking about to prepare him/her/them for life after high school?

Pre-employment transition services are available to students ages 14-22 who are deaf, hard of hearing or deafblind. The goal of these
services is to provide students with an early start at career exploration and preparation for life after high school at no cost. Please see our Services page for more information.


Reach out to us today, we will be happy to help! Contact Us today.

Skip to content