iCanConnect promotes the National Deaf-Blind Equipment Distribution Program, a federally funded program, made possible by the 21st Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act of 2010.
The goal is to get technology into the hands of Americans with combined hearing and vision loss so they can connect with family, friends and community. For those who qualify, technology equipment used for distance communication is provided FREE.
Installation, training and technical support are also available at NO CHARGE.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible the individual must :
- Have combined hearing and vision loss verified by a doctor or professional service provider
- Be able to be trained to use adaptive technology that makes it possible to use the telephone, computer or other communication equipment
- Meet the program’s income guidelines
- Complete the Application Form
- Complete the Attestation Form
How does it work?
- Submit your application, including disability and income verification information, to our Program Coordinator.
- Once your application has been approved, a qualified trainer will contact you for an assessment appointment. They will review your communication and technology needs to help provide you with the best equipment possible.
- When your equipment arrives, the trainer will set up another appointment to help you with installation and training to use the equipment.
- If you require further training or more equipment, just ask!
Equipment includes computers, tablets, smartphones, signalers, software and accessories. Please visit the national iCanConnect website for more details and examples of the kinds of equipment provided.
Disability Verification Guidelines (must meet one of each):
Must meet at least one of these sight requirements:
- Visual acuity of 20/200 or less in the better eye with corrective lenses
- A field of vision defect such that the peripheral diameter of visual field subtends an angular distance no greater than 20 degrees
- Progressive visual loss with a prognosis leading to one or both of above conditions
Must meet at least one of these hearing requirements:
- Chronic hearing loss severe enough that most speech cannot be understood with optimum amplification
- Progressive hearing loss having a prognosis leading to above condition
Application & Attestation Forms
If you have difficulty or questions about the information provided or requested on these forms, please don’t hesitate to contact us. Accommodations for DeafBlind community members are available in person by appointment. Personal data form (section 2 of ICC application) and disability attestation form (section 3 of ICC application are available for separate downloads in standard print English. To request separate sections, Portuguese application, or Braille use the contact form to make the request.